Pest Prevention Tips for the Fall
Mother Nature sure has things well planned: just when we think we can’t take any more heat, the days start to cool down and Fall begins. We are just around the corner from that cool break, so it’s time to start thinking ahead. Among things like getting the kids ready for school, rotating wardrobes, and making holiday plans, don’t forget to pest-proof your house!
Just like us, pests need a warm place to stay during the colder months. They seek shelter, food, and water. Experts agree that the most common pests that sneak into your home during the Fall are rodents, cockroaches, and spiders Pestworld.org reminds us why we don’t want these pests in our home, pointing out that rodents and cockroaches carry diseases and multiply quickly, while spiders may bite and some are even poisonous (such as the brown recluse spider).
greenhome.com and pestworld.org offer some DYI tips to make your home pest-free without resorting to chemicals:
- Keep your home “white-glove clean” on the inside and outside- clean off countertops, don’t let dirty dishes sit overnight, make sure to dust all “nooks and crannies”, sweep floors, seal trash containers, don’t leave pet food outside, don’t allow garbage or foliage to pile up around your house.
- Block off entryways– keep trees and shrubbery well-trimmed; install or repair screens on doors, windows, vents, and chimneys; seal all cracks and crevices with caulking; install door sweeps.
- Remove moisture– fix leaky pipes, keep basements and attics “well-ventilated and dry”, install or fix gutters to properly drain water away from your home.
- Inspect things before bringing them inside– Anything that has been sitting outside, such as firewood or delivery packages, should be well inspected. Don’t forget to shake out storage boxes or any item from your outside storage, as well.
- Be wary of used items– If you like to get good bargains at garage sales, make sure to check those items well before finding them a place inside your home. Even donations from family and friends should be checked and well cleaned before transferring.
As always, if you have a pest situation that has gotten out of control, Accurate Termite and Pest Control is just a phone call away. Never hesitate to contact us for a pest problem…we’re here to help!