Keeping Pests out During Winter
Deck the halls with… screens and caulking. That’s right, not only should you prepare for the festivities, but you should also prepare to keep uninvited pests out of your home. Wintering pests are looking for a warm shelter during the cold months.
Make sure they don’t find a way into your home by following these winter proofing tips:
- Keep trees and bushes trimmed away from your home. Long branches that lead to your home serve as a convenient bridge from outdoors to indoors.
- Rake and remove leaves and debris in your yard. Leave piles and debris provide a safe haven for bugs and spiders.
- Store woodpiles as far away from the walls of your home as possible. Since many pests like to hide in wood,
don’t bring in your firewood until you are ready to burn it.
- Clean and clear your gutters to prevent debris and moisture build up – an ideal nesting and breeding place.
- Install door sweeps on all doors, including garage doors.
- Install screens on all windows and doors, and don’t forget chimneys and stove pipes.
- Be sure to have proper drainage away from your home. Remove any puddles or standing water.
- Seal off holes and cracks in your walls with caulk or other sealants.
- Always keep sinks, cabinets and food storage areas clean to prevent pests from finding an indoor food supply.
When all else fails, Accurate Termite Pest Control
is always here to help you with your pest problems. Happy Holidays!!