What are Mold Mites?

by | Dec 27, 2014 | Single Family Home

Rainy weather is good news, especially when we’ve had drought. But it can also be a cause for concern if your home is not ready to “weather the storm” (pun intended). If you have leaks in your roof or other areas in your home, rain can mean moisture build up and, therefore, the growth of mold.

Mold is bad enough as it is, and when it attracts bugs, it’s double the trouble. Mold mites are tiny white or tan bugs that feed on mold. Although they do not bite or sting and do not cause structural damage to your home, they have long hairs called setae that can break off and can cause allergic reactions in some people. There have also been instances where contact with mold mites cause a “mild skin dermatitis” that makes your skin itchy.

Mold mites flourish where humidity is high and they reproduce quickly. The best way to get rid of them is to eliminate the mold, which is their primary food source. You want to get rid of mold anyway, since mold itself has adverse affects on people’s health and it can cause damage to your home in the long run. Find out what where the moisture is coming from and fix the problem. Once the mold has been removed, the mites will go away on their own. Insecticide is not needed. Here are some tips to get rid of mold:

  • Use a dehumidifier to decrease the humidity in your home.
  • Fix any leaks, broken pipes, or faulty windows
  • Remove visible mold with soapy water or a bleach solution
  • Prevent mold from spreading by keeping your home well ventilated.

The key is to act quickly. Waiting to fix a mold problem will only make it more difficult to get rid of and if there are mold mites present, they will spread rapidly. As soon as you see mold, take the necessary steps to remove it.