What should I do if a Bee Stings my Dog?

by | Apr 28, 2015 | Single Family Home

What should I do if a bee stings my dog - Accurate Termite and Pest Control - Serving Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego County - 1(844)GOT.ANTSSpringtime is here and that means bees are abundant, which increases the risk of bee stings for you and your dog. Dogs are particularly vulnerable since they are natural born explorers and they are oblivious to the danger of bees. The good news is, if Fido gets stung, he should be all right. Usually bee stings, though painful, are harmless. Swelling and redness are normal (but do seek medical help if swelling or redness spreads away from the stung area). Here’s what you can do to relieve Fido’s pain:

Remove the stinger- Stingers can keep pumping venom for another minute or so after the sting. The best way to remove a stinger is by scraping it off with a rigid edge.

Apply cold compresses or a mixture of water and baking soda to soothe the pain and help the swelling go down.

Keep an eye on Fido to make sure he doesn’t develop an allergic reaction, which can be serious and requires a trip to the vet.

An allergic reaction can include the following:

  • weakness
  • difficulty breathing
  • vomiting
  • pale gums
  • diarrhea
  • hives

In the event of an allergic reaction, you should take your dog to the vet immediately. Dogs with an allergic reaction can die if medical help is not given right away.

Call Now Button